Expert Witness in Telecommunications, Network Communications, Mobile Wireless, Cellular, Internet Protocols, TCP/IP, TCP; UDP; IP; Ethernet; VoIP, WAN, LAN, VPN, SMS, Text & Instant messaging (chat)
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Dr. Lavian holds a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, in computer science, specializing in networking and communications. Dr. Lavian is a consummate expert in network communications, mobile wireless, internet technologies, and telecommunications, with over 30 years of experience in the field. D. Lavian is proud to have co-authored over 25 scientific publications, journal articles, and peer-reviewed papers.
Network communications, telecommunications, Internet protocols, Computer Networks, Voice & Data Communications, and mobile wireless:
• Communication networks: Internet protocols; TCP/IP suite; TCP; UDP; IP; Ethernet; network protocols; network software applications; data link, network, and transport layers (L2, L3, L4), data center network architecture
• Internet software: Internet software applications; distributed computing; cloud computing; Web applications; FTP; HTTP; Java; client-server; file transfer
• Routing/switching: LAN; WAN; VPN; routing protocols; RIP; BGP; MPLS; OSPF; IS-IS; multicast, DNS; QoS; switching; packet switching; network infrastructure; network communication architectures
• Mobile wireless: wireless LAN; 802.11; cellular systems; mobile devices; smartphone technologies
• Unified Communications: PSTN, circuit switching, IP telephony, VoIP, SIP, SS7, video and audio conferencing, streaming media, e-mail, instant messaging (chat)
As an expert witness, Dr. Lavian offers his opinion and litigation support services in patent-related cases, specifically in network communications, telecommunications, mobile wireless, and Internet software technologies. He has extensive experience rendering reports and testifying in Federal, IPR, and ITC cases. He has appeared before the USPTO PTAB IPR and ITC in over 140 patent-related cases. Dr. Lavian is skilled at helping the layperson understand complex and sophisticated technologies.
Past cases have involved leading companies such as Google, Microsoft, Amazon, LinkedIn, Avaya, T-Mobile, AT&T, Ericsson, Sprint, Cisco Systems, Juniper Networks, Polycom, Motorola, LG, WhatsApp, Instagram, Huawei, Facebook, and Apple.
HANDS-ON and ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE:
Dr. Lavian brings both hands-on and academic experience to his work in network protocol software development, network design, architecture, configuration, and testing. As a technology expert, Dr. Lavian is often called upon to provide valuable insight on design, implementation, industry standards, and other technological aspects for well-known companies.
Dr. Lavian has served as an industry fellow and lecturer with U.C. Berkeley’s Industrial Engineering and Operation Research (IEOR) Department and with U.C. Berkeley Engineering’s Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology (SCET). He has also been a part of U.C. Berkeley’s start-up accelerator, SkyDeck, as principal investigator of the RF signal start-up company, CRadar.Ai, and smartphone wireless telecommunicators service integrator, Aybell, previously known as VisuMenu.
As the current Principal Scientist of TelecommNet Consulting and CTO of VisuMenu, Dr. Lavian leads various teams in developing cutting-edge technology for smartphones, wireless mobile devices, and other network communications aspects. TelecommNet Engineering provides research, development, and engineering services to start-ups and small businesses specializing in developing novel ideas into patents and products and providing system architecture and technology analysis.