Electrical Engineering Employment Down 29% from 2006 to 2014
This table as derived from four widely quoted ComputerWorld articles by Patrick Thibodeau
- Apr-9-2013 Unemployment rate for electrical engineers soars
- Jul-11-2013 Electrical engineering employment trending down
- Jan-16-2014 What STEM shortage? Electrical engineering lost 35,000 jobs last year
- Mar-13-2015: Electrical engineering employment declines nearly 10%, but developers up 12%
Unemployment fluctuated between roughly 2 and 5% for EE’s and there are classification issues but the trend seems down.
Some BLS statistics that for Electrical and Computer Hardware Engineers
- May 2014 BLS Electrical Engineers 175,00 of which 6500 in Silicon Valley
- May 2014 BLS Computer Hardware Engineers 76,000 of which 14,200 in Silicon Valley
Indeed and Linkedin
- Indeed.com lists 2,750 Electrical Engineer openings for Santa Clara (Aug-4-2015)
- Indeed.com lists 170 for “Hardware Engineer” for Santa Clara (Aug-4-2015)
- Linkedin lists 580 for “Electrical Engineer” in San Francisco Bay Area (Aug 4-2015)
Interesting 2014 article from the Atlantic on “The Myth of the Science and Engineering Shortage”
If you are have other references or relevant articles please leave a comment and I will add them.